How to Collect Your Sample
To maintain our commitment to provide accurate and reliable lab testing, we provide a short instructional video and downloadable instructions that show how to properly collect your saliva sample for accurate result.
3-5 Days Prior to Collection
- Use sublingual hormones in the form of drops, troches and pellets by swallowing them with water no closer than 48 hours before testing.
Night before Collection
- Wash your face before bedtime the night before collecting saliva, and do not apply lotions or creams that night or next morning (some may contain interfering substances), which alter the test result and can contaminate the collection..
- Do not use sublingual hormones in the form of drops, troches and pellets.
- Avoid antacids, and any mouth wash.
At least 30 minutes before Collection
- Do not eat or drink anything at least 30 minutes before collection.
- Do not brush or floss your teeth or have dental work done 1 hour prior to collecting saliva. Slight bleeding from these may alter test results.
10 Minutes before Collection
- Wash hands and rinse mouth with cool water before collecting saliva. Rinse mouth thoroughly for 1 minute with very cold water.
How to Collect the Sample
- Remove the cap of the saliva collection tube or container and spit directly into the tube. Avoid touching the mouth of the tube with your hands.
WHEN TO COLLECT SALIVA SAMPLE:
WOMEN WITH MENSTRUAL CYCLES: Collect saliva between days 19-21 of your cycle, counting the first day of your period as day 1. Saliva collection may be done any day of the month if there is no period.
If not taking hormones or supplements may collect saliva any day of the month.
IF TAKING HORMONES:
Use topical hormones no closer than 12 hours before collecting first sample, but no longer than 24 hours. If you use topical hormone twice a day, skip both doses on the day of testing.
Use sublingual or troche hormones (under tongue) no closer than 36-48 hours before testing.
Collect saliva sample before start the exercise. Use only one tube.
Collect saliva sample after exercise. Wash hands and rinse mouth with cool water before collecting saliva. Rinse mouth thoroughly with cold water. Use only one tube
Collect 4 tubes for cortisol levels Morning, Noon, Evening and Night. Follow the above instructions before collecting saliva samples.